Monday, May 18, 2009

trying too hard



Wilco - Wilco (The Album) (available at their website) I think I like it, but I find it sliding right off me. Jeff Tweedy's voice squarely hits my default "like" setting, as do the searing guitars of this configuration of Wilco, but outside of that, I can't relate back what I've heard. I thought the same thing about A Ghost is Born, though, and that is probably the Wilco album I listen to the most anymore.

Michael Kaulkin's string quartet City Walks (available at his website, via aworks) This was just lovely. I've made a habit of dialing up contemporary classical music when I take a walk to the library over lunch; the pretentiousness and inquisitiveness of this conjoined activity is a perfect balm, like the icing in an Oreo, like the restrained melodies ribboning out of Mr. Kaulkin's quartet.

Willem Maker - New Moon Hand At first listen I would have lain Maker into the bin marked "trying too hard" - fussy blues-esque, rock-tinged, yet coffeehouse folk-ready arrangements, over-tended backwoods growls; I suspect there will be few reviews of this album that do not contain the words "Tom" and "Waits" despite Maker being after something a little more specific and a little less grand.



Having listened to the whole album with relish, devouring it like a perfectly burnt hot dog (also with relish), I would instead use the words "Greg" and "Brown", another singer-songwriter who tries too hard to grab the wiggly truth squirming right there before him, yet I dig the way they contemplatively eye their prey, waiting for the right moment to pounce on it with a shocking roar. I suppose there are worse traits than trying too hard. He will be up at the Dragon's Den in New Orleans with the irrepressible Bob Log III on May 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment