Tuesday, May 19, 2009

pop-acquiesence



Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (listen) I keep saying I'm over this record already, but I keep listening. One of us is going to win out in the end.



Ornette Coleman - Love Call (listen) I'm researching a possibly multi-format piece about Ornette Coleman and thus listening to him a lot lately. He's the jazz titan that I'm not sure I get. With most big jazz legends, I know my vote, but Ornette generally leaves me puzzled, which as experience shows, is a good sign.


Desmond Dekkar - This is Desmond Dekkar (listen) If only artists today had the temerity in intrinsic fortitude to name their albums with a personal declarative statement. Like I would love to hear This is Gillian Welch or even This is Ryan Adams. There is a nakedness in such a brazen statement, just like Johnny Cash's trademark "Hello... I'm Johnny Cash" that sucks you in. Dig this side of the great Desmond Dekkar


Los Amigos Invisibles - Commercial (available next week) New album from the perpetually unearthed Venezuelan psychedelic rock disco master blasters. Perhaps this is what Animal Collective is aiming toward and just isn't funky or pop-acquiesced enough to get to.



or maybe they could go this route...

1 comment:

  1. "... Like I would love to hear This is Gillian Welch or even This is Ryan Adams. There is a nakedness in such a brazen statement"

    I think Wilco must've went into the future and read this blog post before naming their new record.

    ReplyDelete