Monday, May 4, 2009

the C in jazz



Perusing Amazon's list of the 100 best jazz albums for ones that I have listened to resulted in either a low B or a high C (78) depending on which way they do the curve. That might go a long way to explain why I like Tortoise so much, they kinda have a b/C average in jazz as well. I wasn't so sure about their new song "High Class Slim Came Floatin' In" (via MBV), wondering if the once massive band, the answer to the question no one ever asked Spyro Gyra, had been reduced to an organ-and-drums jam duo (this economy...) but the second listen required me to suppress and urge to do the robot while it throbbed away in my headphones at the library. So yep, still like them.

I was reminded by a friend the Ornette Coleman, whose The Shape of Jazz to Come (listen) tops the Amazon list, was beat up in the streets of my fair city for his music.
I had a really good time in New Orleans, although I had some very tragic times in Baton Rouge. Some guys beat me up and threw my horn away. 'Cause I had a beard, then, and long hair like the Beatles

I would expect his 1959 squeals would find a not dissimilar response now. I mean, Ornette deserves respect, but the number one spot, over A Love Supreme? I wonder where and when exactly this assault this happened?

Lists like this exsist primarily for contention and exploration, so I am using this opportunity to listen to Erroll Garner's Concert By the Sea so I at least have the top 20 covered. Standards to upkeep and all. (listen)

The second new Tortoise song to emerge today "Prepare Your Coffin" (via Pitchfork) continues the line of Spyro Gyra questioning, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment