Friday, May 15, 2009

back corners



Man, I love the Mountain Goats. I forgot about the Satanic Messiah EP (available from the band for $6.66) despite my review of it being one of my favorite pieces I've written. His metaphors are so painfully overloaded and so dead-on (unlike mine, which are just painful) like starving to death for the low hanging fruit in "Gojam Province 1968." John Darnielle is one of those wordsmiths so clever he dares you to be clever.

The Beau Brummels 1968 album Bradley's Barn (listen) is an undersung acid-saturated slice of cosmic Americana. The sun may be shining, the guitars may be jangling, but something sinister is lurks in the back corner of that barn.

Don't you wish you could declare "I am the Cosmos" with confidence? Former Big Star founder Chris Bell's I Am the Cosmos is one of those records like Pink Moon from which I feel a complete world-view can be constructed. They are cut from fabric soaked in the essence of their creators, wrung into tape machines of days long past. Bruce Eaton, author of the 33 1/3 book about Big Star's Radio City has some nice things to say about Chris from an interview with his brother over on his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment