Thursday, April 9, 2009

ironing out the kinks



Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
(listen) I went on an extreme metal kick a year or two ago largely out of guilt; a metal publicist got my name and showered me with CD's that I never listened to, and back then I was all organized about it and maintained piles for To Listen, Listen Again, Long Review, Short Review, and so on. It was the same impulse you have when you first get Gmail and you tag everything for the first week, or how you highlight the hell out of the first 17 pages of a college textbook. My To Review pile was teetering with metal and so I popped in a Xasthur disc and roooooaaaarrrrrrrr the earth opened up below me and the sulphur smell therein was weirdly comforting. This music is borderline ridiculous, OK maybe not borderline, but I feel a little wrung out listening to it, and one can generally use a good wringing.

Brandon Stousy adapted this album's title for that of his excellent piece on American Black Metal in the Believer in last year's music issue.

Extreme Guitars - Music By Elliott Sharp, Otomo Yoshihide, Ikue Mori, Marc Ribot, David Shea & More (listen) Actually not as extreme as the title or cast involves would imply, but still the incessant chirping of alien birds, living inside giant Art Deco clock towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment