Monday, February 9, 2009

butter on the Godhead's biscuits


DJ Food - Jazz Breaks Volume 5 (lala) I didn't sleep a wink last night, so when I don't have the cognitive bandwidth available for actual music, and I'm not really in the right mood for dub, these kinds of DJ substrates do the trick. I'm not saying that what DJ's do is not music, but they operate in the same space as smooth jazz does for me, with a slightly lower saccharine content.
Various Artists - I Hate Music (lala) Now that my mind is cleared by the warm breeze of DJ Food, the throb of Fridge will set my biorhythms from reptilian to mammalian waveforms. I am a big fan of Fridge member Kieran Hebden's hyperdelic work as Four Tet, also present on this compilation. The rest of the disc just washed over me, so I'm glad these two numbers were at the front.
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence (lala) I don't think I've listened to the old Crystal Silence, so I didn't know what to expect from this 2008 Grammy Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group winner, but it seems to be sitting on the other side of Jazz from the DJ Food record - where Food reduced it to base elements, Corea and Burton elevate it with a Stravinsky orchestral curiosity.
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender (lala) Now here is an album on which opinions are divided - I first encountered it in my twenties peeking out of the top of a garbage can near my apartment along with four or five Mahavishnu records. That is a definitively expressed opinion of fusion! I am not the biggest fusion fan, but damn, this album is butter on the Godhead's biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment