Wednesday, October 15, 2008

5 things

  1. My wife is the coolest, most awesome ever - a supporting loving partner and übermom in addition to being a badass history scholar with lacerating cultural insight. She frankly pwnz your wife wholesale. You should be a little ashamed at how your wife does not even measure up to mine. I mean, I'm sure your wife tries, bless her heart, but better is better.
  2. I turned in a big article the other day, which means instead of listening to one band obsessively for an extended period, only listening to other things out of relief from that. After something like that, I can't listen to the band anymore - like I still can't listen to Daniel Johnston after last year's OA piece.
  3. So I can listen to anything I want now, and right now it is the recent mammoth Of Montreal concert on NPR. I rather love Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? but have never really latched to anything else of theirs, so I'm not sure how much of this is new material vs. old, but it has a convulsive, good-side-of-the-80's, plasticine sheen to it.
  4. Speaking of good side of the 80's (and late 70's), in researching the aforementioned article, I went on a friutless search for a cameo I swear I remember this certain band making in a terrible Starship video, and re-discovered Jefferson Starship. I knew a couple of their hits but didn't realize how many classic songs they did. I'm don't know who I thought did "Miracles" but I wouldn't have guessed it was them. Also, I didn't know moustachioed Starship pilot Mickey Thomas was the singer on Elvin Bishop's 1976 hit "Fooled Around and Fell in Love."
  5. The glacial process of my job transition is over and I am officially "staff" now, soon to be blessed with insurance and benefits and all sorts of grown up accoutrements once again.
oh, and I really need you all to send me that information I requested. It is not a joke people. I call myself Dr. Alex Cook in business dealings because it makes my other clients comfortable, but I really need your help with this $35 million dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment