Sunday, September 28, 2008

rolling soundtrack



With two trips down to New Orleans in three days, this was my rolling soundtrack, interrupted when the mighty WWOZ of New Orleans came in range.

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird: I am newly rekindled in love with this sappy wrist-cutter of a record after hearing Antony back up Lou Reed on the new Berlin: Live record. Antony may actually out dramatize The Queen is Dead-era Morrissey by trapping his sexual identity issues under a glass bell and holding your nose to it, forcing you to watch it squirm and writhe.
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha: for when you grow out of the weepy trials of the aforementioned record but the sting still lingers.
Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun: The perfect album for all occassions. the impossible genius endgame toward which every drum circle has stretched and failed to reach. The sound of God's drum machine. The howling of the post-digital animal coming through ever wire.
TV on the Radio - Dear Science: I cannot get into these guys no matter how convincing the arguments for them are. I am tempted always to respond TV on The Radio? I don't even like TV on the TV with useless snark when they are evoked.
North Mississippi All-Stars - Electric Blue Watermelon Chopped and Screwed EP: Hahahahaha! I was looking for a perfect chopped and screwed album for the trip down to the city and instead found this. I bow down to NMAS live but their recordings never do it for me EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE. They operate under the limiting techniques of Houston cough syrup rap production and somehow the true amphibian soul of this band leaps out.
John Fahey - God, Time, and Causality: Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment